I'm the type of person who doesn't really see the importance of a name. Sometimes, it's okay for me if someone mispronounce or misspelled my name, I think that isn't a big deal.
![]() | |
| just because |
Until, my lecturer gave me an article about former American President Bill Clinton referred to The President of South Korea, Kim Young Sam's wife as Mrs Kim, and he found it offend him. You can check out the rest of the article below.
![]() |
As far as I know, in Indonesia some parents never really think that pass down their name to their children is a crucial thing. It happened to me though, my father's name is Ade Dasiman, however my father didn't have the urge to name me as Ghina Khairunnisa Putri Dasiman.
However, I found a lot of my friend experienced the same thing with me.
As much as I watch a lot of movie, I know that in America, women who married had to leave her father or her maid name out, instead she had to add her husband last name. If you ever watch Gone Gril, you notice that the lead artist which is Amy Elliot portrayed by Rosamund Pike, had to add her husband's last name which is Nike Dunne portrayed by Ben Affleck, thus her name become Amy Elliot-Dunne.
In Indonesia, you never found a naming tradition like that, unless you married to some crazy rich Indonesian. Rather than adding your husband's last name into your name in Indonesia, you would find married women called by her husband's first name. Let's take my mom as an example, rather that being called as Bu Eti which is my mom real name, she called by Bu Ade a lot, for as far as I remember.
In addition to that, I seek and found enough the diverse of naming tradition in all over the world. Some naming tradition that overwhelmed me are, but in advance correct me if I'm wrong:
- Russian Name, if you are Russian you'd have three parts of name, which is a given name, a middle name which is based on your father's surname, and father's surname. However, if you are a girl, you'd have an "a" at the end off all parts. Let's say you are a girl, your name is Svetlana Efgena Rakhamaninova, then your brother's name would be Slavik Efgeni Rakhamaninova.
- Ireland Name is all about birth order. If you are Irish woman and the first child of the famil, you'd name after you grandmother from your mother's side, and your sister will get the name of your mother's father, your next sister will get your father's nama, and your next sister will get your eldest uncle's name. It's quite confusing honestly.
There are many more that you can find easily on Google. However, it's just amaze me enough that there are so many diversity in naming tradition. It hits me, and speak to me that world is just like people. They are already diverse even before you know their name, but have we respect each other enough yet?





Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar